10 walkers today and clear skies for the start of the walk from the car park opposite St Mathews church , Landscove. The church was built for the workforce from the Pen Recca slate quarry in 1851. An unusual feature of this church is its alignment to the North rather than the East. John Pearson , the architect, went on to design Truro Cathedral.
A marked right of way leaves the entrance of the C.P. avoiding the main road down to Woolston Green. We circumnavigated the left flank of Tor Hill crossing an open field and down to the hamlet of Wash to view a beautifully manicured woodland garden with stream and bridge.
Through woodland and passing fields growing the organic Riverford farm veg with views of the farm and cafe. ( coffee stop ).
Leaving Well, we ascended a steep lane with good views over the gate, leading into aptly named Gypsy lane now inhabited by “permanent “off grid residents using solar and wind energy.
Sharp right at Higher Beara farm and deep descent to Lower Combe. This once metalled road has deteriorated but shows evidence of the different coloured slates of the area, namely purple and blue. We are close to the Pen Recca slate quarry ( 1838 to 1897) situated above Higher Penn.
Another long green lane to Baddaford and a stop in an open barn for lunch and shelter from the showers. Past the Old Dairy to Bulland to Parkfield Cross and left into a long green lane skirting a poultry farm and descending into a watery woodland path.
On to Gullaford, Woolston green and back up the road to Landscove church.
But more, : the delightful old fashioned Hill head Nursery can be accessed via a path through the graveyard , well worth a visit with large green houses, the Vicarage and garden antiques for sale.
An excellent 6.5 miles.