There were 27 walkers today, despite the England V Argentina Rugby match.
Starting at Bolton Cross we were given details of the layout of Brixham from the Domesday book with a population of only 39 to the present 1800. We then saw the site of the first lifeboat, which was dragged by horse and man to St. Mary’s Bay, to be launched. It was called The City of Exeter and donated after the Great Storm of 1866.
From there we continued up Cavern Hill to take in the entrance to The Brixham Cavern, discovered in 1858. We then passed the Windmill ruin to, St. Mary’s Church which was open by arrangement and we were greeted by the Church Warden who gave detailed history of the Church. In the churchyard we looked at the monument to the time when 50 vessels and over 100 died, in the aforementioned Great storm of 1866.
On to St Mary’s Bay and Berry Head where we learnt more of the Napoleonic War and saw some interesting points along the way. At Berry Head the weather took a turn for the worse,
so we sheltered at the Guard House for lunch.
We then continued past The Berry Head Hotel and Coastguards Cottages where James Callahan lived.
On to Brixham Harbour where most left the walk whilst the 5 remaining carried on through Battery Gardens and Furzeham and All Saints Church, finishing back in the Town Square.