We set off from the Plains at Totnes with 25 walkers and followed the lower of the two paths towards Ashprington.
This path has a number of stiles which slowed progress somewhat. We enjoyed a short refreshment break next to an old lime kiln, then continued to the point where the two paths merge, before splitting again, where we took the higher path towards Ashprington.
Ashprington or Aisbertone as it was then known, is mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086 as having four servants, seven villagers and eight smallholders, a total of just 19 people! The population today is just under 600 thanks to housing development.
We stopped for lunch outside St. David’s Church which is fifteenth century, although the font is Norman. The maintenance of the church has largely fallen to the villagers to undertake and they are duly proud of the clear windows, replaced in 2015/16 ensuring the church remains light, airy and damp free.
On the way back we walked downhill beside the road leading to Sharpham House, now a ‘Centre for Mindfulness in Nature’, before taking initially the lower path, then opting for the higher one, towards Totnes and The Plains once more.
Around 6 miles completed.