It was Christine’s maiden leadership walk for the Club. Seven walkers set off from Brixham Bus Station to take West Hill up to Higher Manor Road, then the steps below Vicarage Close leading to Penpethy.
We came back down into New Road and on to Monksbridge, following the main road past Lupton House, latterly Gramercy Hall Independent School but originally a Palladian Manor House, built by Charles Hayne, Sheriff of Devon, in 1722. It now offers a host of community activities and members of our Club do voluntary work there.
We took the route from there to Churston Village for a liquid refreshment stop, before going into Bascombe Road and then Elberry lane.
We returned to the main road passing Cayman Golf and the old Go-Kart track. At Churston Bridge we turned into Brokenbury Quarry and crossed the golf course towards Broadsands, where we enjoyed our lunch. It was busy, despite the school holidays being over a week away.
After lunch we crossed Elberry Common, where our successful Sax on the Common event took place a few weeks ago. We crossed the shingle beach of Elberry Cove towards Lord Churston’s Bath House, taking the steps into the woods to follow the coast path to Churston and Fishcombe Coves, we then carried on along the Buccaneers Trail, passing the environmental establishment now part of Plymouth University, formally AstraZenica.
We finished at the harbour having enjoyed a wonderful and interesting Wednesday walk of around 8 miles. Many thanks to Christine for stepping up to lead for the Club.